Fascinating Facts About Queen Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz
- She was a German princess - Queen Charlotte was born in 1744 in the principality of Mirow, Germany. She was the daughter of Duke Charles Louis Frederick of Mecklenburg-Strelitz and Princess Elisabeth Albertine of Saxe-Hildburghausen.
- She was a polyglot - Queen Charlotte was fluent in English, French, German and Italian. She was also able to understand Latin and Greek.
- She was an avid collector of botanical specimens - Queen Charlotte was an enthusiastic botanist and collected many specimens of plants and flowers from around the world. She also established Kew Gardens as a botanical research center.
- She was a patron of the arts - Queen Charlotte was a great supporter of the arts and commissioned works from many renowned artists of the time, including Thomas Gainsborough and Joshua Reynolds.
- She was a patron of the sciences - Queen Charlotte was an avid supporter of scientific research and was particularly interested in astronomy. She was a patron of the Royal Astronomical Society.
- She was an advocate for women's education - Queen Charlotte was an advocate for women's education and founded the Queen's College in London, which is now part of the University of London.
Category: History | Topic: Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz | @Wikipedia